On the 1st of January I took up my position as CEO of Ketchum in the UK. It’s been a whirlwind, and I’ve loved every second.
It was important to hit the ground running, setting clear expectations for myself and for the agency, and ensuring that there was a vision that we all believe in. Energy, positivity, momentum are all critical to giving us a boost at the start of the year. You can feel the buzz across the 3rd floor at Bankside 3. People are totally up for it and I’ve got the fear! What’s the fear? I’ve set out a vision of what I think Ketchum London can do, can be, and our staff are totally with me. Ready to march in to battle. Now I need to make it a reality, with the whole team locking arms and marching forward, but jeez does that make me feel the fear. Can we do it? Can we deliver the vision in to reality? What happens when we stumble? That’s the fear! But I believe we can. And we will. The fear actually helps.
So what have I done in the first four weeks?
– flew to New York on the 1st for an important global pitch. We did ourselves proud, but we didn’t win on this occasion
– appointed a new Executive Committee https://www.holmesreport.com/latest/article/new-ketchum-london-ceo-names-seven-strong-executive-committee
– refreshed and set new direction for our Senior Leadership Team
– had a 2018 kick off meeting
– hosted a Resolutions with Robertson meeting where I committed to listen more and talk less (amongst other things)
– flew to Geneva for a critical strategic client meeting
– worked with Deirdre Murphy to create and launch our new creds to the agency
– lead a strategic review for a client which lead to a brand equity recommendation. A proud moment with a talented, diverse, and fully integrated team
– flew to Vienna to lead a senior issues and crisis workshop for a client (Abu Dhabi and Beijing to follow)
– agreed all Exec members objectives for 2018, including my own (gulp, we are ambitious)
– judged the PRMoment awards
– was appointed to the PRCA Board http://www.gorkana.com/2018/01/ketchum-ceo-jo-ann-robertson-joins-prca-board-of-management/
– was elected to the Women in PR Committee https://www.prweek.com/article/1455512/golin-london-md-bibi-hilton-named-women-pr-president
– I refreshed the drinks trolley with Gin, Whiskey, and Archers
I also had my birthday….
And what have I learned? A lot! But three key things:
1. Nothing beats face-to-face personal interaction with colleagues, clients, and industry peers. Making time to talk and connect with people enriches me and ensures I’m building relationships of trust that will last. This needs to be continue to be a priority as I move forward.
2. Time is not infinite. I’m a personality that wants to be involved in and do everything. It’s just not possible. So I am going to have to choose carefully whilst still be true to who I am. I’m going to have to delegate and trust even more than I do now. I think this will be a theme for the next year as I try different things and learn from the successes and mistakes.
3. Keep giving permission. I’ve asked the agency to focus on three key things:
– be a force for good
– be a driver of growth
– bring an entrepreneurial spirit
Already I am seeing an increase in ideas for improving the business, improving client service, and making the agency an even more fun place to work. I want even more of this, and to get it I need to keep reminding people that they have permission to trial and learn. They have permission to fail. They have permission to make the change they want to see and drive our agency forward.
So January has been busy and awesome. February is going to be even better.